Marvelous Mondays is a pilot program that provides fun, easy, structured play at Traverse Heights Elementary during recess.
This program organizes play with Traverse Heights’ Roadrunner Club (community volunteers) to increase physical activity, encourage positive behaviors and improve well-being.
Terrific Tuesdays provide fun, structured play at Central Grade School during lunch recess to increase physical activity, encourage positive behaviors, and improve well-being.
Do you have one hour a week at lunch this winter and like to:
- Help our kids succeed?
- Play and have fun?
- Support a strong Traverse Heights Elementary?
We need you.
WHY TERRIFIC TUESDAYS?
Alongside Traverse Heights’s noon duty staff (they’re in charge during recess, you’re there to play with the kids) and Behavior Support Team, Marvelous Mondays aim to:
1. Ensure that all Traverse Heights Roadrunners are having fun and smiling during recess
2. Build positive relationships with volunteer community members
3. Increase physical activity and movement during recess
4. Decrease behavior issues on the playground (and in class)
HOW MARVELOUS MONDAYS WORK
With inspiration from PlayWorks, Marvelous Mondays games are a mix of:
– traditional sports (soccer, basketball, football)
– tag games (band-aid, sharks/minnows)
– playground activities (swings/slides)
– walking (laps on the walking path)
– parallel play (scavenger hunts, juggling, jump rope)
Students get to choose what they play. Same with volunteers.
Each recess is 20 minutes long – Traverse Heights has four recesses.
Volunteers can sign up for:
- Shift #1: 11:20-12p
- Shift #2: 12:00-12:40p
Consistency is important so ideally, all volunteers can make all/most Marvelous Mondays this winter.
Volunteers are also required to complete a background check.
Who wants to play?
It’ll be fun. And rewarding.
Email email@example.com to get started.